Monday, July 11, 2016

History and Evidence for Water Birth - My Story

Water Birth / Hydrotherapy 
Image result for sayings about water and life
Why Choose a Water Birth?                                                                                                                                                                     
When I encounter a woman who expresses a desire to have a natural childbirth my first goal is to help her formulate a plan that will help her relax. One of the most effective methods of child birth relaxation involves hydrotherapy.
Hydrotherapy, better known as water birth or using water to provide pain relief and relaxation, has been used by laboring women for years.

In 1805, an account of the first water birth research was published in a French journal but it wasn’t until 1967 that the first U.S. water birth was documented and water immersion during labor became popular. The water birth movement in the U.S. continued to increase between 1983 and 1995 with France leading out in the pain reducing movement. However, in 2004 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration notified Water Birth International that they needed to file a request for portable birth pools to be classified as medical devices. Eventually, controversy over the safety of water birth lead to clinical trials. In the late 2000’s and early 2010’s researchers began recording thousands of water births reporting zero drownings or near drownings of newborns. These studies concluded some benefits for mothers and even some benefits for the newborns. However, these trials eventually were recorded to be inconclusive due to miss conducted trials reporting.                     Hang with me, I know that is a lot of statistical junk!Image result for images of water birth

 For many women the use of water during labor is a technique and tool that not only minimizes their exposure to I.V. drugs and epidural in labor, but can act as a non-pharma-cologic pain relief. The researchers found that in women giving birth for the first time:

+During early labor (1-3 cm), women choosing land births in bed reported more pain than those choosing water births.

+During pushing, women choosing water births reported higher levels of pain compared to women who had land births in bed.

+After the birth, women who had water births recalled a lower level of pain than those who had land births in bed.

+There were no other differences between groups with expected levels of pain, late first stage pain levels, or levels of pain in the second stage before pushing began.

It has also been found that women whom where immersed into water had higher rates of spontaneous vaginal births compared to women who gave birth on land. There has also been evidence sighting a 20% decrease in C-section through water immersion. Researchers found a decrease in episiotomies performed on immersed women thus finding more intact perineum rates.

Hydrotherapy can be used in the form of a warm spray from a shower head directed to the pelvic front or lower back, relieving the stretching sensation of the ligaments before and during labor. When choosing immersion the water temperature should maintain an 88*F- 100*F to be safest for mother and baby and to alleviate pain.
Image result for images of water birth
My Water Birth Story 
In 2008, I had an opportunity to do a little study of my own regarding water birth. I was pregnant for the twelfth time and had never given birth in water. I had given birth in many different settings from a Naval Hospital in HI. to standing in my own bedroom. All of my babies had been born naturally and I planned to have this one naturally as well.  Over the years I had heard of water birth and had stood in the shower during labor. Many of the stories I had read on water birth planted fear in me; after all, babies could drown in a pool of water, right?   I had used the tub during every stage of my pregnancy to relieve morning sickness chills and aches and pains but, the idea of my newborn emerging into a tub full of water kind of terrified me. A good friend of mine shared her experience with water birth and my midwife educated me further in the safety of a birth in water. During this pregnancy I learned that when the water temperature is kept at about 100*F a baby will not take a breath until pulled to the water surface.  So, after researching away my fears, I decided to give birth in my bedroom in a large horse trough intended for birth that my midwife loaned me. I found the entire experience to be such a peaceful one. I had a large 9 lb. 3 oz boy who was 23 3/4 Inches with minimal pain. I did not tear a bit and felt so calm and relaxed through the whole labor. My little boy was born alert, looking me straight in the eyes from his warm tub of water without a cry. The first thing I said to everyone in the room was, “Why didn’t I do that sooner!
Based on history, clinical studies and my own awe inspiring experience with water birth, I highly recommend this option for birth relaxation and pain relief
Happy Birthing! Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment